Saturday, April 23, 2011

Update

The reaction from friends, family, co workers and random strangers has been interesting to say the least. I am shocked at how many people basically called me stupid for getting involved in a dog fight or don't understand how I "let this happen". If they only truly understood the situation, that I was completely trapped, scared and helpless, they might have a little more sympathy but apparently dog trainers are expected to be perfect and have perfect dogs. Maybe they should take into consideration that I have only lived with these Saint Bernards for one year and in that year I spent nearly four of those months in a relapse with my MS plus had to have two rounds of Solumedrol infusions which have their own set of side effects. We also planned our wedding, got married and I got a new job. All of these things are exhausting for a person with MS which leaves no extra energy for training dogs. Yes, I have Multiple Sclerosis. No, I don't use it as an excuse but it is the reason that I can no longer walk dogs or teach obedience classes.
This event was extremely traumatic for me. It has changed me and broken my confidence a bit. If you want to sit back and judge me for having imperfect dogs or for doing my best to stop a horrific, unexpected incident, so be it. To the people who have been sending kind words, prayers, love and cookies (thank you Tammy!), we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We are not only dealing with me trying to heal my body and spirit, but we are facing what could be a very difficult decision with our beloved pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment